Hi Guys Here's the latest update, the snow has melted and the workshop is above freezing. So out with the old floors.
Next up is to clean up the mating flange and the remaing frame. At some point the central tunel has had holes cut into it to repair the accelerator guide tube, these will be welded up once all the tubes are cleaned and checked.
The rear torsion bar tubes retain the original blue/grey paint. Original spot welds are drilled out and next will be to clean back to bear metal in preperation for the new floorpans.
Another couple of milestones have been reached on the road to finishing the kubel for it's new owner. After much pushing, pulling, bending, and pushing again the new copper fuel line is in place, I would strongly recommend that current owners replace the original steel line as they rust badly and the last thing you want is leaking fuel into your central tunnel. And the new copper line will last a lifetime. The next challenge was to undo a rather poor fix to the accelerator cable tube.
At some point the original tube had failed so someone decided to cut three holes with an oxyacetylene torch into the central tunnel to attach an undersized brass tube. Once removed a new correct diameter steel tube was inserted and the holes cleaned up and new correct guage steel was but welded into all three holes.
The tunnel is now back to original and the floors can be trimmed ready for installation. More updates soon. Regards Drew
Hi Guys OK the time has come to trim down the new floorpans. Sounds simple but you need to heed the old saying 'measure twice, cut once'. The first pan took all day to trim a little, measure, trim some more until everything lined up perfectly. The second pan was pretty easy as I used the first as a pattern.
With everything in the right position it's time to cut in the water drains and then the seat anchors and strengthening pieces. More updates soon. Drew
Hi Guys Some progress over the weekend. Drain holes cut out and drains welded in. Floor strengtheners and seat mounts welded in. Trial fitting of the seat frame all lines up nicely. Next up are the little steel pads that the seat runs on, then it's time to weld the pans in, can't wait. More updates soon. Regards Drew
Hi Guys Work on the kubel has been slow recently but managed to weld in the floor finally. Floorpans were first held in place with cleco aircraft pins. Then time to measure up and punch through the 15mm mounting holes. Next up Painting and re-assembly. Regards Drew
Hi Guys the end is in sight. Kraftstoff I'm using red oxide primer. With the pans welded in it was time to sand over the galvanised coating to provide a key for the primer, if this isn't done the paint will just not stick. Primer goes on. And finally 3 coats of the correct top coat. And now it's time to start fitting all those restored parts that have been lying around the worshop for so many months, I have left the chassis tag in red primer. More progress tomorrow hopefully. Regards Drew
Hi guys as promised more progress. Spent all day Sunday fitting the new brake cables, brake rods (inside the tunnel) and pedal assembly. Special attention should be made to cleaning out the cable tubes, here is what I did. Blow through the tunnel tubes with compressed air (careful as a lot of nuts flies out) then use grease gun to partially fill the tubes, grease cables and insert. If you've been following this thread from the start you will remember that I have been collecting parts to put the car back to original cable brakes and now all these parts are finally getting used. And finally a nice shot of the chassis plate, More news soon. Regards Drew
OK so the day has come to finally bring the body and chassis together, I have spent the past few weekends connecting up the new front wiring loom and bringing everything to the dashboard.
But now the time has come to mate the original body with the restored chassis. I must admit I was a bit nervous, after all the measuring, would it all line up? No need to worry so far every chassis bolt has gone in perfectly. I have installed a new rubber bodied 6v battery and next weekend the engine goes in. Next up is petrol in the tank and see if she starts. More updates soon. Regards Drew
Hi guys Here's the penultimate update. Next time the engine should be running and she should have a new owner. The 1944 engine is back in and wired up. Fuel lines are connected and tank filled with petrol. After clearing an air lock fuel is running to the engine.
All wiring is now connected and just need to install the right fuses.
It's been a great journey and I have had some up's and downs over the past 7 years but the kubel is almost ready for it's new owner. Would you believe it everything is finished but my new accelerator cable has not arrived from the chez republic. So if I can track one down the engine should start and the sale will be finalised.
It's been great to have you all as friends over the years and your encouragement has kept me going, Next update should be my last. Keep kubeling. Drew